Coal accounted for 30% of global CO2 emissions in 2018, with coal-fired power plants the single largest contributor to the growth in emissions for the year. Accounting for approximately 30% of primary energy supply in the G20, an accelerated coal-phase out is critical to the global energy transition and climate mitigation.
In addition to climate mitigation, a coal phase-out could have considerable benefits – especially for countries that use coal to meet significant portions of their energy needs and/or are exposed to coal trade risks. In the G20, the countries where coal phase-out should be an immediate priority include: China, Australia, India, Indonesia, and South Africa. For these countries, coal phase-out could also bring about:
– increased public health dividends;
– reduced costs of electricity production through low input prices for renewable energies,
– reduced risks of stranded assets;
– improved energy independence and fiscal benefits.
To limit global warming to 1.5°, total coal (including with Carbon Capture and Storage) must be close to 0% of electricity generation by 2050.
Climate Transparency partners are working in G20 countries towards this goal by:
– Providing analysis and recommendations on coal phase-out – including a just transition that protects workers and other vulnerable groups which may be affected;
– Involving decision makers and change agents to share learnings, discuss challenges and opportunities;
– Engage in cross-country learnings to increase awareness, knowledge and also capacity.
Click on the picture or the download button to read papers on coal transition and coal phase-out written by Climate Transparency Partners from South Africa, Indonesia and India as well as the summary about coal phase-out actions in G20 countries.
12 INSIGHTS TO MOVE BEYOND COAL TOWARDS NET-ZERO
G20: COMPARISON OF COAL PHAST-OUT ACTIONS
Click on the picture to download graphs related the topic of coal phase-out.
Discover more about our events and blog articles on coal phase-out.
How does South Africa manage its coal phase-out?
How does Indonesia manage its coal phase-out?
To learn more about how coal phase out looks like in G20 countries and what the international reactions to Germany’s Coal Commission are, watch our videos:
How are G20 countries phasing out coal?
What are international reactions to Germany’s Coal Commission?
Report: Global energy transition and future of coal in Indonesia